Thursday, October 23, 2008

Valued Voter

As Election Day approaches, have you made your decision? You might have even already voted during early voting. I always like to wait until election day. To walk into that nursing home and vote makes me very proud. I love getting that sticker that says, "I voted". It's important, y'all. And as Christians, I believe we are called to do this. Our country is facing a time like no other and we have the opportunity to make a difference for future generations; and that includes our children and grandchildren. I got an email from my parents with these statistics:

According to Wallbuilders.com there are approximately 60 million evangelicals. (Some place the number as high as 70 – 100 million)
In 2000, only 15 Million evangelicals voted — or 75% of evangelicals DID NOT VOTE.
In 2004, only 28.9 million evangelicals voted — or 52% of evangelicals DID NOT VOTE.
In 2006, only 20.5 million evangelicals voted — or 66% of evangelicals DID NOT VOTE.

That is scary. How will Christians influence the upcoming election? Will we follow the admonition of Proverbs 14:34, "Righteousness exalts a nation but sin is a disgrace to any people." Or will neglect our responsibilities as a group and allow our values to be trampled on and fail to promote righteousness in our land?

Value Voters USA believes (and I completely agree with this) that "the greatest underlying cause to the crises we face in our nation today is the departure from our nation’s foundational Values. When Life, Family (including traditional marriage) and Faith are preeminent, solutions to other lesser issues will come into focus."

So will you join me in praying for America? Will you do your job as a believer and vote? Your vote counts. And if you want to watch an excellent video about how important it is to vote, visit Value Voters USA.

1 comment:

Scherr Family said...

We voted yesterday! It always gives me chills.