Thursday, July 10, 2008

Happy Birthday!



Dear Sweet Girl,

I can hardly believe that I am writing your 5 year old birthday letter. Happy Birthday baby girl! The past 5 years have literally flown by. It just seems like yesterday that we brought you home from the hospital. And now you are half as tall as me and growing every day. This is the year that the sweetness in you has come out. You are a little mama to little brother and take care of him so lovingly. You do act like your daddy and can be a little pest to him sometimes, too! You are your daddy’s girl. You’ve got him wrapped around his pinky finger. He loves you so much and is so excited that you are getting to an age when he can teach you things, like golf, and you remember them and put them into practice. You love to swim and be outside just like your daddy. You love for your daddy to sing “Baby Blue” with you. You are his Baby Blue, sweetheart. You always will be.

You are becoming a smart little girl and have learned SO much in the last year, I am amazed. You are learning to read and have learned all the Books of the Old Testament. You’ve even taught your brother to say them! You also love to sing songs and make some up, too.

You are just like me in that you love to be with people. You are a little social butterfly, as my mom and dad used to call me. Some of your friends right now are Kait, Bree, Miles and Jack, Julia, and so many others. You have lots of friends. You love to be with your Lola and Pawpaw and your aunts and uncles. Lola does have a very special place in your heart, though. You love to spend “special time” with her and spend the night with her a lot. You and Lola have a secret saying in Filipino now: “Ato ato niha” which means “Just between me and you.” You also love your Gigi very much. And I know that Gigi loves her special time with just you. She likes to have long conversations with you.

You love girly things, yet you love to get down and dirty and play hard. We are having a princess party for you this year and I was a little surprised that that is what you decided on, but o’well! It’s what you wanted. You don’t care too much about watching tv unless Jon and Kate Plus 8 is on. You LOVE that show. I have recorded just about every show on the DVR. You love to do crafts, color with crayons or markers, and you also love the little homework booklets I’ve bought at the store. You will sit and do page after page after page. I hope you love school just as much when you get older. You are so excited about starting Kindergarten. I can’t believe I will have a little girl that will be in Kindergarten.

You are a very picky clothes-wearer. I was the exact same way when I was a little girl. You like plain shirts - nothing on it that you can feel on the inside. Loose jeans and plain old shorts. Your shirts cannot have cuffs on the sleeves, nor a collar. And nothing tight. You’d rather wear flip-flops than any other shoe. Even your Sunday sandals are dressy flip-flops. You really don’t like to wear tennis shoes (again, because they are tight), but I make you wear them to school or when I know you will be running and playing outside.

You are a pretty picky eater too, again just like I was. I do make you try everything and you are good about it when I tell you to. You don’t like any vegetables except for corn. You like some fruit. You love peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, especially when I cut them with a cookie cutter. They seem to taste better! You also love mac and cheese, pizza, and ice-cream with sprinkles.

Your heart is so full of joy and so much life. You truly want to live it to the fullest! You have learned to love Jesus and know that Jesus loves you. Your prayers to Him are the sweetest and most innocent I’ve heard. A typical one usually goes like this: “Dear Father, thank you for this day. We praise you because you made this whole world and we love you. Thank you for all our family and blessings you’ve given us. Please help us to not get sick and help us to stay healthy. And we just praise you, Lord. In Jesus’ name, Amen.” Isn’t it beautiful?! My heart smiles when I hear you pray. And I pray that one day soon, you will realize how much Jesus really does love you and the sacrifice He made for you and confess your sins before Him and invite Him into your heart.

You delight me pretty child and I am so glad that God chose me to be your Mommy. Know that among my happiest of memories is your smiling face, again and again. You truly bring joy to my life, each and every day. Being your mom is the biggest happiness a woman could know.


I love you baby girl,
Mama

3 comments:

Kristi said...

What a precious letter for your little one! I really can't believe it has been 5 years since you called saying, "Mom, I think you need to get on up to the hospital!" Seems like only yesterday. And...the coming years will go by just as quickly. Treasure each season. I love you!

Anonymous said...

This is so sweet, Ash. It's something that you and her will treasure always. You should make a book out of these. Love you!

Anonymous said...

What a sweet letter to your daughter. I should do that for the boys. I think I'll start that this year. I wrote to them when I was pregnant but a birthday letter would be nice too. I like the idea of putting them in a book too. Save them all and give them to her someday. She'll cherish them forever.