Friday, April 17, 2009

A Good Storm

I love the thrill of storms (that is, if I'm in a house, not in a tent!). I hate the damage it can do to to people and our things, but I love the adrenaline it gives me. I love to watch it on the radar and listen to the frantic news people. I love to pause and listen to the the alarm on the radio and hear "The National Weather Service has indicated a..." etc. I'm even subscribed to an email emergency alert (which send emergency weather alerts, but also, for example, if salmonella is found in pistachios or something like that!). This morning when I woke up, I had five email alerts from the storm during the night last night. I vaguely remember hearing the thunder and rain, but couldn't tell you what time it was!

I just love this time of year when thunderstorms can just pop up unexpectedly in the afternoons. It excites me. I know there are some of you, though, that are really scared of storms. Like my friend Becky. Now, I'll just be honest and tell you that I've never actually been through a tornado (but have taken cover when one was near), so if I ever have to endure one, my story might be a little different. I have, though, been in an airplane and flown through a typhoon. That was a rough ride. But for now, it's a rush! I remember being in highschool and if you drove by our house during a bad storm, you'd see all of our (my sisters and my) cars parked up in the yard under the trees. Haha! It was a rush running through the rain and figuring our where to park! Then after Jim and I were married in our first few houses, we didn't really have garages that you could actually park a car in (and I still don't know why they make some garages so small!) so we would drive somewhere and park our cars under a covering. It was so exciting! I like to stand at the window and watch the hail. Then surveying the damage after a big storm is also exciting to me!

My mom is the same way. During the hurricane season, we love to watch FOX News and watch them get all worked up about each hurricane. And when Hurricane Katrina hit several years back and Shepard Smith stayed down there the whole time covering it and the aftermath, we never missed his show. The anchors on FOX News get worked up about the storms and we love it! I love to watch Storm Stories on The Weather Channel, too. Weather just amazes me.

Okay, call me crazy...

And yes, I am hoping for a storm to pop up this afternoon! :)

(Can you tell I'm link happy today???)

5 comments:

Joley said...

You are so funny. When you mentioned Shepard Smith I started laughing outloud because I was glued to his broadcast of Hurricane Katrina as well. I will never forget him doing a flip when a 'gust' of wind hit him. I have NEVER laughed so hard in all my life! (Thank goodness he was alright.)

~B said...

Oh. My. Word.

You get excited? My heart is racing just thinking about it. I seriously wig out.

Okay - - I don't want to hog all of your space. I'm going to post an entry about it.

I really wish I could conquer my fear.

Erin said...

You and Will should hang out and watch The Weather Channel together! Crazies!!

Mich said...

I came over from a friends blog and was intrigued by your topic. I have to say I am a total scaredy cat...hate storms.

Your family is beautiful.

Gi Gi & pop said...

Oh, Ash, the best sound in the world is a storm! But I like it in a tent, too. Or in a trailer.